MMF 812 Friction Drive Powered Novelty Space Car Toy
The Space Race was all the rage in the 1950/60s, and many toy manufacturers vied to be the most creative when guessing what a car might look like in the future or for use in space. This particular Friction Drive Space Car model was manufactured in Hong Kong by MMF, and is numbered 812.
It’s very ‘Thunderbirds’ in look and sports fans in the roof, (if you blow on the roof, the front fan rotates), and two metal antenna on the rear.
- length ~ 13.3cm (excluding antennae)
- width ~ 6.2cm
- Height:~ 6cm (including antenna)
In pretty good used original condition, the plastic body has some surface scuffs and scratches but no cracks
- Friction power is working fine and the car does move across a tiled/wood floor: struggles with deep pile carpets
- All four tyres are intact
- NB: The colour of the car is closest to that taken with the stand, as opposed to the lighter colour seen in the images with the blue background.
I haven’t been able to find anything about MMF; the company probably no longer exists or was bought out by one of the bigger toy manufacturers.
For more vintage toys, please click on the following link