Zeiss IKON Contarex I Bullseye 35mm SLR Camera Body
This unusual looking camera is a 1960s Zeiss IKON Contarex I Bullseye 35mm SLR Camera Body. First SLR with a focal plane shutter. It also has direct meter coupling to the shutter, aperture and film speed! The camera is sold without a Zeiss lens.
Affectionally known as the Contarex I ‘Cyclops or ‘Bullseye,’ all settings can be read from the top of the camera. It’s extremely complex design contributed to the demise of Zeiss but it is, arguably, the best 35mm SLR ever made; ‘designed to handle any photographic task.’
Significantly more expensive and rarer than the equivalent Leica M3, with only 32,000 produced compared with 225,000 Leica M3 over the same period. This particular camera has the serial number E94002, which dates it to 1964/65. It was amongst the last batch of Contarex I manufactured and has a 6mm slot in the back of the camera to enable you to insert a data strip.
The camera body is in excellent cosmetic condition with only a few tiny blemishes on the chrome and body.
We have not had a film through the camera and it does have some issues:-
- Shutter is sticking at all speeds
- Shutter blinds show a slight crease.
- Selenium meter does not appear to be active
Hence, it could probably do with a professional clean and service, used for spares, or just for display in a camera museum. The price has been adjusted accordingly. [Due to their rarity, in good working condition, these cameras sell for over £1000.]
- Product Line: Zeiss IKON Contarex I
- Type: SLR body (chrome and black)
- Manufacturer: Zeiss IKON (West Germany) 10.2401
- Year of manufacture: 1964, serial number E9400
- Films: 35mm, speeds up to 1600 ASA
- Focal: Manual focus f1.4-f22
- Flash Synchronisation: Flashbulb and electronic flash automatic flash control.
- Two Focusing systems: Split image rangefinder and ground glass ring
- Shutter speeds: 1 to 1/1000
- Metering: Selenium meter (photoelectric cell) located in the ‘bullseye.’ ASA range 5-1600
- Compatible Lens System (not included)
- Bayonet Mounted Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 Biogon, 35mm f/4 Distagon, 50mm f/2 Planar, 85mm f/2 Sonnar, 135mm f/4 Sonnar and 250mm f/4 Sonnar.
For more information about the Zeiss Ikon Contarex I, please click on the following link http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Contarex_I
For more vintage photographic equipment, please click on the following link.