1940s Georgia University Historical Commemorative Wedgwood Plate “Campus In The 50s”
An original, blue and white, 1940s Georgia University Historical Commemorative Wedgwood Plate “Campus In The 50s.” The diameter is 26.5cm.
In excellent vintage condition with no cracks, chips or restoration. It has a few superficial surface scratches/scuffs and manufacturing blemishes.
It is one of a set of 12 Georgia Historical Plates made by Wedgwood for the Transylvania Club of Georgia and commissioned in the 1930s. For more information on the history of this set visit the Georgia Historical plates website.
1940s Maker’s Mark on The Base
Made in England
“Campus in the Fifties, University of Georgia. Athens. Georgia. First State University in United States. In 1784 shortly after the Treaty of Versailles. Granting independence to each colony. Then a state. The legislature of Georgia gave 40,000 acres for the endowment of a University. In 1785 the charter was granted.”
Chartered by the Georgia General Assembly in 1785, UGA was the first university in America to be created by a state government. The principles of its charter helped lay the foundation for the American system of public higher education.
For more blue and white pottery, please click on the following link.