Shelley Pottery was situated in the popular Foley potteries area of Staffordshire. The company was initially known as Wileman & Co, with the first Shelley, Joseph, joining the company in 1862, followed by his son, Percy in 1896. Percy went on to become the sole proprietor, and headed the family run business for 50 years. In 1966, as with many of the pottery factories, it became part of a larger umbrella business; in Shelley’s case this was Allied English Potteries (AEP).
Shelley produced some wonderful china in their history but their best era is probably that of the Art Deco period with their wonderful geometric designs and innovative hand decoration; including Harmony and Harmony Drip Ware.