1950s Green Serpentine Soapstone Lamp Base and Lamp Shade
1950s Green Serpentine Soapstone Lamp Base
A beautiful 1950s Green Serpentine Soapstone Lamp Base and lamp shade. The lamp is in very good condition with no chips or cracks.
- Base diameter: 8cm (3.2″)
- Height (base to top of lamp holder): 15cm (6″)
In addition, the lamp has had remedial work along with Portable Appliance Testing (PAT), which should ensure electrical safety and reliable operation for many years. It is just waiting for you to add your own bulb and plug adapter (if outside the UK). A wonderful looking vintage lamp to complement any home décor!
The lamp is sold with a modern small cream shade but excluding the light bulb.
The stone is Serpentine, a mineral rock comprising magnesium, iron and silicate. The common green form, ‘Lizardite,’ was named after it was found at ‘The Lizard, ‘ a peninsula in Cornwall, UK. It is also called ‘Cornish Serpentine and is still traditionally hand crafted by Cornish artisans to create a wealth of beautiful objects; from lighthouses to jewellery, and door stops to table lamp bases! Serpentine was at its most popular during Victorian times, particularly in the Kynance area of Cornwall. Today, only 5 craftsmen remain.
Remedial work undertaken
- The lamp has been rewired with black braided two core flex.
- The lamp has had a new CE marked white plastic lamp holder fitted (bayonet bulb fitting).
- The lamp has had a new CE marked black plug top fitted along with a 3A fuse.
- Maximum voltage 240V/ 60 Watts/ 4A load when fused appropriately.
Please click on the following link for more vintage lamps and lighting accessories.
Portable Appliance Testing undertaken (PAT)
The lamp has been electrically tested using a flagship PAT tester, and passed the UK Portable Appliance Inspection. For more information on the UK Electrical Health and Safety PAT test, please click on the link, which will take you to Wikipedia. The bulb is not included and is for illustrative purposes only.
- Tested with a Seaward Europa Plus PAT tester Serial number: 26C-0243
- Lamp tested as a 230 volt Class II Appliance- double insulated. Lead has two wires; a live and a neutral
We Also Recommend
Wills's Star Cigarettes Empire Size Tin Boxed Set of 28 Dominoes In Black Crystalate