In 1919 Alcock, Lindley & Bloor (ALB) established their pottery at Clough Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK. The business was originally started by B.J Swinnerton in 1906.
They were one of the smaller potteries and were very much a family run business. Their 100 employees mainly came from five local families! ‘Brown Betty’ pottery was one of their most well-known pottery models.
ALB invented a new type of nozzle for depositing slip on teaware in a decorative form.
Other innovations include this unusual looking teapot with an upside down or downturned pouring spout: this was supposed to prevent drips.
The company was eventually taken over by Royal Doulton in 1974, prior to closing in 1979.