Vintage IMBER Plastic Capsule MW/FM Battery radio with flashing lights
This Vintage IMBER Plastic Capsule MW/FM Battery radio with flashing lights is one of the most futuristic radios I have ever seen!
I can’t make up my mind whether or not it is a space capsule or if it is trying to emulate a thermionic valve, but I do know it is Kitsch with a capital K!
- The aerial is the pointy bit on the front of the capsule, which can be extended and turned round.
- There are flashing lights on the rings holding the aerial in place down the centre of the radio. These are turned on via a separate on/off button in the battery compartment.
- The radio station indicator lights up.
- FM 88-108 MHz
- MW 525- 1640 Khz
- Takes three ‘C’ cell batteries
Approximate Maximum Measurements:
- 33cm (13″) length (from the tip of the aerial)
- 12cm (4.7″) width
The radio was made by Imber but I can not find any information about the company or the radio. From the technology visible within the capsule, it looks like a 1980s radio. It is very simple to operate with just a tuning knob and a combined volume control/ off button.
It actually takes three ‘C’ batteries/ cells to operate the radio and the coloured lights. However, in order to show you that it is working, we had to improvise and use an ‘AA’ battery and two ‘C’ cells as we didn’t have three ‘C’ cells! The batteries are not included as we are unable to ship items containing batteries.
It comes with the original box. There are no instructions but it is quite easy to use and is in full working order: see the You Tube video below.
In good overall condition with a few scuffs and surface scratches commensurate with age. Fantastic gift for a collector or an older child.
If you like vintage radio, then please click on the following link!